Thursday, December 24, 2009

December 24th, 2009

The technique seen here is something we all do, whether we mean to or not . . . this shot is totally out of focus - but it's creatively out of focus. The term for this sort of in-camera effect is called Bokeh - The term comes from the Japanese word boke (暈け or ボケ), which means "blur" or "haze", or boke-aji (ボケ味), the "blur quality". You can see it in a lot of my images when I've used a wide open aperture to blur the background of my image, while keeping the subject sharp. In this case, I've chosen to blur the entire scene - my blue Holiday lights on the front porch.

This was captured with the camera set to full manual mode. Shooting at a 30th of a second on a tripod. My aperture is set to f/1.8 and my ISO is down to 100. You simply turn off auto-focus and spin the dial to suit. It's a popular effect this time of year with all the bright, twinkling lights all around.


No comments:

Post a Comment