Thursday, May 28, 2009

May 28th, 2009

Product photography . . . it's a mystery to me. I wanted to give it a try with some stuff I have a vested interest in. The subjects you see here are my favorite writing utensil - a MontBlanc "F. Scott Fitzgerald" fountain pen. My iPod - which I am never without. And my favorite watch - an Omega Seamaster "Planet Ocean' Co-Axial Chronograph. The hardest part of taking images like this . . . it's not the exposure or the processing. It's the set up! I have mucho respect for folks who can arrange the stuff you see in catalogs and make it work!

This was shot with my D2x on a tripod and the scene lit with a single TD5 Spiderlite. Shot at f6.0 with a shutter speed at an 8th of a second. I ran the image through Nik Software's Color Efex Pro 3.0. They have a really neat filter in there called Film Effects that let you emulate the look of certain films. For this particular shot, I wanted it to look as if I shot it with Kodax Extachrome 400xPro. The shot just reminded me of something you'd see in a magazine from the 70's (minus the iPod, of course!). That filter helped it a long a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment