Wednesday, November 4, 2009

November 4th, 2009

The more I play with the camera, the more I learn . . . I shot this last night as the moon rose. It's a stunning site - so large in the sky, but here's the trick. To perfectly expose for the moon in the nighttime sky, you really knock everything else back into shadows. Because the moon is so bright, I am shooting at 400th of a second - pretty fast for dark conditions. Next time, I want to try painting some light in while I make the exposure - you know, get some tree branches in there somehow . . . this is easily achieved in Photoshop, of course, but I want to do this in-camera!

Captured with the Nikon 70-200mm VR - I was even shooting handheld! I switched to full manual mode so I could dial in the right amount of shutter speed and exposure. I shot at 1/400th of a second with an f-stop of f/11 to make sure everything was nice and crisp. ISO is down to 100.


No comments:

Post a Comment