Friday, October 2, 2009

October 2nd, 2009

Critters make for great subjects. This little guy almost bought the farm this morning when I stepped out of my car. This is a Woolly Bear Caterpillar . . . according to legend, the severity of the upcoming winter can be judged by examining the pattern of brown and black stripes on woolly bear caterpillars – the larvae of Isabella tiger moths. If the brown stripe between the two black stripes is thick, the winter will be a mild one. A narrow brown stripe portends a long, cold winter.

Captured with the Sigma 70-300 Macro. Shot at f/5.6 with a shutter speed of a 60th of a second. ISO is at 500. Normally, when I shoot macro, I make sure to mount the camera onto a tripod. This time around, I simple shot on 'continuous high' and fired off a burst of 15-20 shots. Chances are, in that burst of images, you'll be able to find one that is tack sharp.


No comments:

Post a Comment